taking its name from old St James’s Church which stood at one
end. Some of the houses which lined the street dated back to
Elizabethan times or even earlier. At the western end of the
street, where it joined St James’s Lane, were some half
timbered houses with jettied upper stories, which may have
dated back to the 14th century.
Before the opening of Castle Street in the 1830s, St James’s
Street was the main route for coaches to and from Deal and
Thanet. Until 1856 the old rectory stood on the corner
Woolcomber Street making St James’s Street so narrow that a
white stone was placed against the rectory wall to stop
vehicles striking the wall. The four horse coaches must have
made an impressive sight, racing down the street and taking
the sharp turn into St James’s Lane on their way to the Market
Square.
On the north side of the street stood St James’s School built in
1849 and extended in 1906. On the south side of the street
stood the Gordon Boys’ Orphanage, established by Mr Thomas
Blackman in memory of Gordon of Khartoum, soon after the
General’s death in the Sudan in 1885.
During the Second World War the street was seriously
damaged by bombing and has more or less disappeared. A few
original houses survive at the eastern end near to the ruins of
old St James’s Church.