Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Buckland
Anglo-Saxon Buckland
There was certainly a settlement in the vicinity of Buckland in
Anglo-Saxon times as a large cemetery has been discovered in
the area. The first burials came to light during the building of
the Dover to Deal railway line about 1880. Between 1951 and
1953 a large cemetery was excavated on the site of what is
now Napier Road and Hobart Crescent, and 170 graves dating
from c. AD 475 - 750 were recorded. In 1994 a further
cemetery was discovered below Hobart Crescent, on the other
side of the railway line. This cemetery, presumably part of the
same one excavated in the 1950s, yielded over 200 more
graves. The overall cemetery, in use for perhaps nearly three
centuries, probably contained around 500 individual graves.
No traces of the settlement which the cemetery served have
been found in the area. The most likely spot is in the valley
below, near the river Dour and beside the old Roman road to
Canterbury. The settlement was perhaps near the site of the
present St Andrew's church. The church itself was founded at a
much later date and the people buried in the cemetery
essentially belong to the pre-Christian era. Based on other
Anglo-Saxon sites which have been excavated, it is likely that
the village would have consisted of simple timber-framed
houses and out buildings, with thatched roofs. There were
probably also workshops which produced the tools, weapons
and ornaments found in the graves.
In AD 762 the first written record of a Dover corn mill was
made. This mill, probably at Buckland, was also the first
recorded mill in Britain.
The Domesday Book - Buckland in 1086
The settlement is mentioned in the Domesday Book, the survey
ordered by William the Conqueror and carried out in 1086. The
survey lists the then owners of the properties and the pre
conquest Saxon owners (in the time of King Edward - i.e. King
Edward the Confessor, reigned 1042-1066). The entry for
Buckland (Bochelande) reads:
"In Bochelande Alwin holds one sulung. He has six villagers
and ten smallholders with one and a half ploughs. In total,
value £4; in the time of King Edward, 100 shillings. He held it
himself in prebend."
"In Bocheland Godric holds one sulung. He has 2 ploughs in
lordship and three villagers and four smallholders with one
plough. A church. Value £6; in the time of King Edward, £8."
(Notes: prebend - a stipend granted to a priest of a cathedral
or collegiate church, usually consisting of the revenues of one
of the manors in the estates belonging to that cathedral or
church; sulung a word only used in entries for Kent and
believed to mean the area of land which could be worked by
one plough team in a year).
So in 1086 there were at least 23 people living in Buckland,
probably a scattering of dwellings around the ford across the
river Dour. The Domesday Book only listed the working men
and it must be assumed that at least some of the 23 had
families.
Buckland Bridge
The bridge over the Dour was not built until the late 18th
century, until this time the river had been crossed by a ford at
the same point. Before the bridge was built the main road
from Dover to Canterbury and London ran the other side of the
river, along what are now Buckland Avenue, Barton Road, Frith
Road, Charlton Green and Maison Dieu Road. After the
construction of the bridge it became possible to use the more
direct route into the town the road becoming known as London
Road.
Buckland Pubs
The ancient inn, the 'Bull', by Buckland Bridge, is right in the
centre of old Buckland. It had been known as the 'Rose' and
the 'Three Horse Shoes' prior to 1839. Further up the London
Road is the pub called the 'Old Endeavour'. The prefix "Old"
was originally intended to distinguish it from the 'New
Endeavour' which used to stand a little higher up the road. The
name of this old inn was suggested by a privateer, called the
'Endeavour' fitted out at Dover in 1746. The 'Gate Inn' on
Crabble Hill used to stand by the old Toll Gate at the start of
the Turnpike to Canterbury. The Tollgate was removed in 1871
and the pub is now a Chinese takeaway.
Nineteenth Century Growth
Until 1801 Buckland was separated from Dover by open
country. Yet within 20 years they were connected by a
continuous string of properties along the main road to London,
stretching from the Maison Dieu to Buckland Bridge. In 1836
Buckland was incorporated into the Borough of Dover. The
growth can be seen from the population figures in the Census.
As the population grew the village started to expand out from
its old centre around the bridge and the houses on London
Road. In the 1860s the area around Union Road (now Coombe
Valley Road) started to develop with housing to accommodate
workers at the new gas works. Magdala Road was built in 1868
by a Mr Edward Fry. Oswald Road and Eric Road were laid out
in 1871. In the early 1890s Buckland Avenue and the roads
leading off it were constructed.
There was also industrial development in Buckland during the
19th century with Buckland Paper Mill, the new gas works,
Buckland Brewery, Wellington Brewery and Mannering's Corn
Mill (at the corner of London Road and Lorne Road).
The Union Workhouse and Buckland Hospital
Early in the 18th century the poor of the town were cared for in
several Poorhouses, administered by Parish Overseers by order
of the Mayor. These eventually came together under the Dover
Poor Law Union which was formed in 1835, and, in 1836 a
Union Workhouse was built in Buckland Bottom, the old name
for the area now known as Coombe Valley. The workhouse was
enlarged almost immediately it was opened in 1836, and again
in 1849, 1871, 1897 and 1903. The road leading to the
workhouse was called Union Road (now Coombe Valley Road).
In 1930 the care of the poor in Dover passed to the Kent
County Council, and the growing powers of the Public
Assistance Committee of KCC gradually relieved the workhouse
of its former cares.
When the Second World War broke out in 1939 the buildings
became a Casualty Hospital, dealing with hundreds of patients
of various nationalities from local air-raid victims to German
prisoners whose planes had been shot down or whose ships
had been sunk. There were frequently men in the wards unable
to speak a word of English who were nursed back to health by
Dover nurses. Dr Gertrude Toland was one of the heroines of
that time, working long hours without rest, often continuing
with operations during air-raids. In February 1943 the hospital
was taken over by the Public Health department of KCC and
was then called the County Hospital.
In 1946 the National Health Services Act brought the hospital
under the control of the newly created NHS. Gradually services
were transferred to Buckland Hospital from the old Royal
Victoria Hospital in the town centre. In 2015 a new building
was opened and the old buildings demolished for housing
development.
Buckland School
The first National Parochial School opened in 1839 in a room in
the Master's House in Church Close , which was situated on
what is now the western end of the churchyard. In 1842 it
moved to new, larger premises, and again in 1856. In 1858 it
was decided to build a new school and a site on London Road
was obtained, and the foundation stone was laid on 24
February 1859. During the excavation for the foundations of
the new school a quantity of Roman pottery was found. The bell
for the new school came from the sailing ship 'Earl of Eglinton',
which was wrecked off St Margaret's Bay in 1860. When she
was salvaged the bell was purchased for a few shillings by the
Church Managers and was hung outside the school soon after it
opened. The school closed in 1968.
The Gas Works
In 1864 the Dover Gas Company, finding that their works in
Trevanion Street were too cramped to meet the demands of the
town, obtained an Act of Parliament, enabling them to raise
further capital, and to build new gas works in Buckland Bottom.
The permission was granted on the condition that gas
production in Trevanion Street was abandoned within seven
years. In less time than that, the manufacture of gas was
altogether transferred to the new works in Union Road. The
gas works were enlarged a number of times to cope with
increasing demand for gas from the growing town. The gas
works closed in the early 1970s with the conversion to natural
gas, when coal gas production ceased. All that now remains is
one gasometer used for the storage of natural gas.
Buckland Today
Today Buckland is largely residential. The population of
Buckland was greatly increased after the Second World War by
the building of the large Buckland Estate housing development.
While the old industries have gone, there is some commercial
development in the Poulton Close Industrial Estate.
Buckland Census Figures
1801 - 346
1861 - 2,162
1811 - 584
1871 - 2,612
1821 - 693
1881 - 3,281
1831 - 834
1891 - 4,344
1841 - 1,472
1901 - 8,211
1851 - 1,895
1911 - 10,256
By 1911 the population growth that had started in
the 19th Century was largely complete.
The next major growth took place after the
Second World War when Buckland Estate was
developed.